Thursday, August 16, 2018

Smoky Cheddar Potato Soup

So maybe an online diary isn't such a bad idea.  I seem to have more and more thoughts, recipes, photos, and memories I want to save, and there's no denying, this is a convenient place to put them.

Therefore, even though it has been years since I last posted here, I'm going to dust it off and start using it again.

It's just an ordinary Thursday, but it is the middle of August.  That's always a great encouragement to me, hating summer as I do.  It means summer is more than half over!  We're winding down toward fall now, and is there anyone who doesn't think autumn is the most glorious season of the year?  I think I especially do, because I actually like winter.  Yes--there--I've said it.  I LIKE winter.  I love snow and winter holidays, of course, but I just like the entire season, even the grey, cloudy, icy one we get here in St. Louis.  I like the season of cold, of cuddly sweaters and heater on in the car and the pleasure of putting warm fluffy socks on cold feet. I love the comfort of cupping my morning cup of tea between my hands to warm them. 

But it's only the middle of August. There's still a month and a half of hot days before we even get to the time of cool nights.






So in case you need a preview, how about some Smoky Cheddar Potato Soup?  Every time I make this - always in early autumn, and frequently thereafter, all through the winter - I find I've forgotten just how good it tastes.

1 medium onion, chopped
2 T. oil
6 medium to large potatoes, peeled (or not) and cut in about 1/2" cubes
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 box undiluted chicken broth (I like Pacific, or Swanson's Organic Free-Range)
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. Liquid Smoke flavoring (or to taste)

Brown onion in oil on medium heat until caramelized, about 8 minutes.  Add potatoes and soups.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 30 minutes, until potatoes are very tender.  Turn off heat, stir in cheese and smoke flavor. 

This soup is very adjustable. You can adjust the amount of onion, cheese, and smoke flavoring to your own taste, or add some chopped ham or sliced smoked sausage.  You can smash some of the potatoes with the back of the spoon to thicken it, or  you can add more chicken broth to thin it. Make it the way you like it, and enjoy it--and don't forget the crusty bread!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! It’s good to see a new blog post from you! I would like to encourage you to keep going. It can be stressful at times, but it can also be quite therapeutic. Meanwhile, I’m trying this soup. It looks absolutely delicious. One of these days it’s going to cool off and soup will be so comforting. At least I hope it’ll cool off.

    ReplyDelete